Transform free pallets into creative and beautiful furniture, decorations, planters and more! There are over 150 easy pallet projects here to give your home and garden a personal touch.
Before we dive into these projects, here is some helpful information:
You can get pallets FREE (or very cheap) from:
- Craigslist or Facebook’s Marketplace. A lot of the time people just put them on the curb for free for you to pick up.
- Local businesses, distribution centers and stores (e.g Garden and Hardware Stores, Motorcycle Shops, Home Improvement Stores). You will see them sitting out back of stores, but always ask the manager before you take them because they could be rented pallets and need to be returned.
- New Businesses – If you know a new business is opening in your area, that is a great time to find a lot of pallets too.
If you can’t find any free wood pallets, you can buy them for under $10 (typically in the $5-$7 range, depending on the type and size you are looking for).
Materials You Will Need:
- Hammer (with nail puller) & Nails OR Nail Gun
- Screwdriver and Screws (wood screws)
- Drill and Drill Bits
- Reciprocating Saw
- Safety Glasses and Gloves
- Tape Measure and/or Ruler
- Orbital Sander
- Jig Saw
- Wood Glue
- Circular Saw.
- Hand Saw
- Pry Bar
I won’t re-list these items below to save space, but you will need some of these tools and supplies for all of these projects. If you are just planning on doing one or two projects, you can rent the more expensive tools (e.g. saws and sander) at a Home Depot or Lowes to save money or borrow from friends, family or neighbors.
Handy Tutorials for Pallet Projects:
- How to “Quickly” Disassemble Pallets
- Many projects require dissembling the pallets.
- There are lots of different ways to disassemble pallets depending on the type of tools you have at your disposal.
- How to Get Weathered Wood Look
- How to Tell if a Pallet is Safe for Reuse -Don’t use pallets with MB or IPPC logo!
- Make Your Own Wood Stain For Less
While these DIY pallets projects are easy, some of them are time-consuming and may take more than a couple hours to complete.
Indoor Pallet Projects
drawer handles + paint or stain + screws
rope + washers + screws
white acrylic paint + small chain + hook + mason jars + votive candles
All you need is various sized pillar candles
mason jars + small pillar candles + rope
stencils + white acrylic paint + shades of blue and tan paint
mini clothespins + white paint marker (or stencils) + fabric (for flowers) + photos
staining or paint + mirror
wood letters + white acrylic paint
clock parts (take apart a thrift store clock) + numbers + white paint
Furniture Pallet Projects
wheels + glass top + paint (optional)
Organization and Storage Pallet Projects
Entryway Pallet Organizer from Great DIYs
Kitchen Organization Pallet Projects
wood knobs or hooks + wood stain + stencils + white acrylic paint
Bathroom Organization Pallet Projects
I couldn’t find a tutorial for this project, but it looks pretty simple. There is a similar project here that might help: http://www.instructables.com/id/Pallet-Wall-Shelf/
Other Organization Pallet Projects
Outdoor Pallet Projects
Garden Pallet Projects
washers + screws + heavy duty chains
Backyard Pallet Projects
Front Yard Pallet Projects
Holiday Pallet Projects
white paint + ornaments + christmas star + clear string lights
wide red ribbon + nails
4th of July
wire + red, white and blue acrylic paint + wood stars + picture hanging wire
large star stencil + red, white and blue paint
star stencils + red, white and blue paint