Add a touch of spookiness to your home with this easy Dollar Store DIY Halloween Lantern. This project only takes 15 minutes to make and costs under $10! All of the supplies for this project can be found at Dollar Tree:
Supplies for DIY Halloween Lantern:
- 4 black picture frames
- black foam board
- hot glue gun & 2-3 glue stick
- scissors or craft knife
- pencil or marker
Total Cost: $5
Difficulty Level: Easy
Time: 10 minutes
Instructions for DIY Halloween Lantern:
- Remove the plastic, frame back and picture inserts from the picture frames.
- Pull the tabs back on the frame and remove the glass. If you don’t pull the tabs back they will show through your lantern when it is complete.
- Using a glue gun, glue along the frame where the glass would be and then put the glass back down, pressing down gently.
- Glue the edges of the picture frames together. Be sure to align it evenly. Hold together firmly until each frame dries (about a minute). Be generous with the glue because you want it to hold up well. I also glued the inside edges to make sure it holds.
- Using a pencil or marker, trace the outline of the lantern onto the foam board.
- Cut out the outlined section of the foam board.
- Glue the foam board base to the bottom of the lantern.
…And now you are ready to fill your lantern with spooky goodies!
For this lantern I used the following items:
- black sand on the bottom of the lantern
- LED spider candle
- Gothic purple and black faux roses
- glitter spiders
- Halloween ornaments
You don’t have to use what I did. This is where you can get creative with it. Dollar Tree has a variety of halloween lighting options (LED candles, fairy lights, light up skulls, string lights, etc). Plus, they have an assortment of decorations like skeletons, bats, creepy creatures and much more!