Today is the opening ceremonies at the 2014 Olymics in Sochi! Will you be watching? I’m especially excited about the 2014 Winter Olympics after having witnessed the festivities of the 2010 Olympics in my hometown of Vancouver. I will never forget what it was like to have the Olympic torch pass by right in front of our house and getting to high five the runner who was carrying it. The sounds of excitement that carried through downtown Vancouver each time Canada won another medal still rings in my ears. The memories from the 2010 Olympics will stay with me forever and it’s exciting for me to witness another city getting the honor of hosting the winter games.
To motivate and inspire the team, Canadians can show their support by sharing a personalized good luck message on Lelsey Stowe’s official social media platforms. Lesley Stowe will contribute $1 per message, to a max $5,000 to the team.
Lesley created recipes inspired by the Canadian Women’s Ski Jumping team. Throughout the Olympics we will be sharing these recipes with you. We hope that you enjoy this recipe and stop by soon for Lesley’s second Olympic inspired recipe.
Canadian Women Ski Jumpers Winter Kale Salad with Pine Nuts Recipe
- 1 bunch of black kale
- 2–3 tbsp. (30–45mL) balsamic vinegar
- zest of 1⁄2 lemon
- sea salt – to taste
- freshly ground pepper
- 1⁄4–1⁄3 cup (50–75mL) olive oil
- a shot of chili oil (optional)
- parmesan – lots grated
- 1⁄4 cup (50mL) currants – soak for 10 min & drain
- 1⁄4 cup (50mL) pine nuts lightly toasted
- Remove the tougher stems and very finely julienne the kale leaves.
- Whisk together the vinegar, lemon zest, salt, pepper & olive oil. Toss on the julienned kale.
- Add the parmesan, currants and pine nuts just before serving (the nuts will go soggy if they sit in the vinaigrette too long). You can eat it right away but it softens & mellows if left to sit for at least 15 mins.
- Serve with Raincoast Crisps.
Recipe and image courtesy of Lesley Stowe Fine Foods.
Giveaway is open to Canadian and US residents. Enter below.