I have a new addiction… watermelon salad with feta and basil. It is SO good. I could eat if for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Confession- in the past week I have eaten it at least once for each meal.
I have a group of moms that I get together with once a month. This month it was my turn to host which was perfect because they came over the night after my birthday. It was like a little birthday celebration with some of my best friends. I bought a 10 pound watermelon for the occasion and we ate less than a quarter of it which meant there was tons of watermelon left over to make watermelon salad with feta and basil. I’m not a huge fan of traditional breakfasts so I’ve been making this each morning and bringing it to work to eat for breakfast.
It’s super yummy, quick and easy, and a great summer dish. As usual, I’m a bit of a “little of this, little of that” girl and with this recipe you should be too. Don’t measure anything, eyeball it and you will be good to go. The below recipe is approximately how much I make for myself (aka 1 person) if I’m just having watermelon salad as my main course.
Ingredients (all measurements approximate):
- 2 cups cubed watermelon (See this tutorial on How To Cut A Watermelon into Cubes on The Mother Huddle for tips and tricks on how to cube watermelon easily.)
- 1 handful of crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 4 leaves of basil roughly torn
- 1 pinch of kosher salt
- 1 pinch of cracked black pepper
- Combine all of your ingredients together in a bowl, toss and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes for flavors to marry. Serve and enjoy.
I hope you like my recipe for Watermelon Salad with Feta and Basil. If you make it I’d love to hear what you think of the recipe.
Tell me… What is your favorite summertime dish?