When I was a kid I think I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every single day for my school lunch. Now that Bean has started kindergarten, The Hubs and I are struggling trying to figure out what to put in our picky eater’s lunch box. Our girl doesn’t like lunch meat and her school is a nut free zone. Bye, bye peanut butter! What’s a mom to do? Why create a Nut Free Sunflower Seed Butter Recipe of course!
Last week when I went to Bean’s classroom I confirmed with the teacher that sunflower seeds would be ok for a “butter” since they are seeds, not nuts. I headed off to Costco expecting to find a variety of nut free butters but all they had was peanut butter and almond butter, so I was left to make my own.
It is DELICIOUS! Lick the container out good. I know that you will love it. So take 10 minutes, whip up a batch and let me know what you think.
Nut Free Sunflower Seed Butter Recipe
- 2 cups of sunflower seeds
- 8 tablespoons of olive oil (or your favorite oil)
- 4 tablespoons of maple syrup (or your choice of sweetener)
4. Your ground nuts will eventually get very fine and when you press down on it with a spoon it will almost look like a dough like in the photo above. At this point, and at this point only do you want to start adding your oil. Do not add your oil when you still have chunky seeds or you will not get a smooth texture.
5. Slowly start drizzling oil into the feed tube of your food processor while you continue to grind the seeds. Add oil until you get the desired consistency for your sunflower seed butter. I added 7 tablespoons of oil.
I would love to hear what you think of my Nut Free Sunflower Seed Recipe. For other great recipe ideas subscribe via email to Sew Creative, follow us on twitter, visit us on Pinterest and visit our Food and Recipe section.
Tell me… Are your kids picky eaters? What kinds of things do you pack in their lunches? Are they peanut butter and jelly fans? Is your work or your kid’s school a nut free environments?
As usual if you try our recipe we’d love to hear from you with your thoughts!